Friday, September 27, 2019

LAMP POST SPEAKS






The day fades off giving way to night
Birds to their nests make their weary flight
The tired worker limps his walking strides
And I take over with a beaming smile.

As night grows older, I see with surprise
Night prowlers with groggy eyes
Hold on to me to stand upright
I feel sorry for their pathetic plight

Rogues hate me for my beams of light
They cannot steal when I am in sight
Some throw stones to make me blind
But I stand firm with all my might

Lovers in the stillness in whispering voice
Gaze at the stars glittering in the sky
Speak of the future, wishing to be bright
Build castles in the air, to pass their time

In the distance, I hear a family fight
Hungry children making heartrending cries
Father has come home, drunk, without a dime
Spending his money on cards and wine.

I ponder, Isn’t this not a heartless crime?
To keep them hungry, his children and wife
Is this the way of human life?
Live for others, happiness you will find

Dear friends, may I now say ‘ Good Bye’
For my duty will be over when dawn arrives
I will stand here and will be again alive
Till we meet again tomorrow, the same time.

G.A.D.Sirimal

No comments:

Post a Comment